Progress on your teaching pathway with the STA Certificate in Teaching Swimming—the next step which meets CIMSPA’s employer-led swimming teacher professional standard.
The qualification will expand your expertise to teach competitive strokes, survival and rescue skills, diving, competitive starts and turns; allowing you to teach non-swimmers through to advanced participants.
How Will the Qualification Benefit You?
- Created by STA’s aquatic experts, providing you with quality training
- Regulated by Ofqual
- Meets CIMSPA’s employer-led swimming teacher professional standard
- Teach more lessons with a variety of skills
- Retain existing participants by offering progressive lessons, extended skills and advanced awards
- Benefit from 12 months free CIMSPA affiliate membership (usually costing £30) with access to a wide range of benefits from the professional development body when you qualify.
When You Get Your Qualification
- Teach the full range of the International Learn to Swim Programme independently, from non-swimmers to advanced participants
- Access free online support and resources which are helpful for new and experienced teachers
- Your course resource manual will act as a guide throughout your swimming teaching journey—always there to refer back to should you ever need it
- Receive advice and guidance from the STA team who will support you throughout your swimming teaching journey.
To remain as an STA-approved swimming teacher, and to receive the benefit of STA public liability insurance, you’ll be required to:
- Remain in membership of STA
- Keep your knowledge and skills up-to-date with regular CPDs
- Regularly update your DBS check
How to Take Your Swimming Teaching Career Further
Once qualified, expand your swimming teaching portfolio by teaching those with disabilities or baby and pre-school participants with our People with Disabilities and Baby and Pre-School Award qualifications.
You can also enhance your knowledge further and maintain your occupational competency by exploring STA’s broad range of online learning CPDs.
Interested? Before You Get Started…
You’ll need to make sure you’ve met the following requirements before you attend your course:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold the STA Award in Teaching Swimming qualification or acceptable equivalent (please note the Swim England Level 1 Award in Aquatic Teaching is not an acceptable pre-requisite)