In response to the questions about qualification extensions during the current lockdown restrictions, Claire Brisbourne, Director of Safety Training Awards sets out the latest guidance here for England, Wales and Scotland.
The Health and Safety Executives (HSE) guidance on qualification extensions for first aid remains the same as the information published September last year, which is detailed below:
- FAW or EFAW certificates that expired after 16 March 2020 can remain valid until 31 October 2020 or 6 months from date of expiry, whichever is later. All requalification training for these certificates should be completed by 31 March 2021.
For paediatric qualifications, the Department for Education (DfE) have published an extension to requalification of Paediatric First Aid certificates if PFA certificate requalification training is prevented for reasons associated directly with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, or by complying with related government advice, the validity of current certificates can be extended to 31 March 2021 at the latest.
This applies to certificates expiring on or after 1 October 2020 and includes paediatric first aiders in provision registered on the General Childcare Register as well as Ofsted registered early years provision. Childminders can also apply this extension.
For lifeguarding, health and safety and pool plant qualifications, the same HSE extension requirements apply as per First Aid qualifications, as these have been approved by the regulators, therefore, extension requests can be granted up until 31 March 2021.
The qualifications included for extensions requests are:
- STA Award in Pool Lifeguarding
- STA Award for Pool Emergency Responder
- STA Award for Safety Award for Teachers
- STA Award in Pool Plant Operations
- STA Award in Swimming Pool Water Treatment
- STA Award in Swimming Pool Water Testing
- STA Award in Safe Moving and Handling
- STA Award for Fire Marshall Training
- STA Award in First Aid at Work
- STA Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
- STA Award in Basic Life Support and Anaphylaxis
- STA Award in Basic Life Support and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator
Anyone wishing to apply for the extension, please email email@example.com attaching a copy of your certificate.
The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) state that COVID-secure face-to-face training can continue through the current lockdown restrictions, but only where it’s sensibly and realistically needed to support an employer’s demand for meeting health and safety provision in a workplace. Further details here.