Following the release of the updated learner portfolios on Monday 18th June, the pool plant qualifications have been updated to reflect the changes in guidance within Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group’s (PWTAG) Swimming Pool Water publication. There were several areas in the pool plant learner manuals, course presentations and portfolios that required updating to reflect these changes in guidance and address tutor feedback.
A summary of the changes is below:
- Recommended pH range is 7.2 to 7.4
- Dilution rate is 30 litres per bather
- Recommend water balance maintained is between -0.5 to +0.5 (ideally 0)
- Recommended total alkalinity range is 80 mg/l to 200 mg/l
- Recommended calcium hardness range is 80 mg/l to 200 mg/l
- Turbidity has been removed from the assessment; updated guidance in manual (readings to be taken regularly)
- Images of gate valves and multiport valves updated.
The learner manuals and portfolio answer pages have been updated to reflect the new guidance. For those who currently hold a stock of manuals, the main pages of the manuals with areas requiring updates are available from the office for replacement—please email firstname.lastname@example.org, stating how many manuals you have requiring updated pages and where you want them posting to, and our team will arrange for these to be sent out to you.
Course presentation have also been updated with this information and are now available to download from the tutor resources on your STA Online account. Fully updated resources will be available in the coming months.
As previously stated, the old style learner portfolios can still be used if these are currently held for any courses commencing up to and including Friday 31st August 2018, after which all courses must use the new learner portfolios.